- Current page
Club competitors shine at Whangamata Classic
14th December 2018
It wasn’t only the sun that shone at the Whangamata Classic surf carnival. Many of Red Beach’s athletes turned in some highly creditable performances at the annual two-day event held on 8 & 9 December. A total of 570 competitors from 25 clubs were registered for the Classic.
- Kalani Gilbertson notched up an impressive double by taking out the finals of the U16 men’s board & ski events
- The final of the U19 men’s ski race saw a tight finish with Kade Scheib putting in a powerful burst to grab the win right on the line
- In the boat arena, the Red Beach Boomers took out the overall points win in the open men’s division from a five-race series
- Three club canoe crews enjoyed wins from a three-race series. In the open men’s division the Red Beach Engines finished first; the Flying Reddaz crew won the open women’s division and the Red Hot Chillis took out the U19 women’s division.
Sunday’s programme was taken up by relay events.
- Red Beach U19 men’s teams were highly impressive in achieving a notable treble by winning the board, ski and Taplin relays
- In the open women’s Taplin Relay, Rachel Hare again anchored her team for a win, repeating last year’s success in this event. She teamed up with Ella Moratti and Jade Hughes for the success.
For the full set of Whangamata Classic results for Day One & Day Two, click here
Overall Points (based on club calculations):
East End (76) 1, Red Beach (69) 2, Waikanae (54) 3, Mt Maunganui (41*) 4, Orewa (41) 5, Otaki (30) 6, Mairangi Bay (29) 7, Omanu (29) 8, Papamoa (23) 9, Fitzroy (20) 10, Titahi Bay (17) 11, Piha (16) 12, Wainui (13) 13, Opotiki (8) 14, Paekakariki (6) 15, Whangamata (5) 16, Waimairi (5) 17, Whakatane (3) 18, Sumner (2) 19, Muriwai (1) 20, Waihi (1) 21, Midway (1) 22, Bethells Beach (1) 23.
* Did not compete on Day Two.
Kalani Gilbertson won the U16 board & ski finals at the Whangamata Classic.
Kade Scheib took out the U19 men's ski final.
The Red Beach Boomers crew came out on top in the open men's division.
The Red Beach Flying Reddaz crew won the series in the open women's canoe division.
The Red Hot Chillis crew won the series in the U19 women's canoe division.
Winners of the Open Women's Taplin Relay, from left: Ella Moratti, Rachel Hare, Jade Hughes.