Training & Coaching
JuniorSurf training is held on Sunday mornings. For Tadpoles, roll-call is at 8.45am and training sessions run from 9.00 am to 10.00 am. For A, B, C groups, roll-call is at 9.45 am and the training times are 10.00 am - 11.30 am. For safety, each child must have their name checked in at the start of training and checked off at the end. Please note: A parent, guardian or caregiver must be present for the duration of each training session.
Additional training is available mid-week for all age group members holding 200 metre badges. This is subject to coach availability.
Please see the Competition Calendar for carnival and training information. It is important to check these dates a few weeks in advance in case of changes; they will be posted on the notice board opposite the boat ramp and on the club web page. In poor weather an alternative limited programme will be run.
The club is fortunate to have an excellent team of volunteer coaches to instruct members in the skills required to be competent and safe in the surf and beach environments. Coaches educate the children in surf knowledge and techniques at a level suitable for surf carnivals. Our coaches receive ongoing training to ensure that they are up to date in all techniques, safety and risk management.
Should you wish to become involved in coaching please contact the club's Coaching Co-ordinator Kevin Cornish for further information, ph: 021 280 2481.
Due to NZ Surf Risk Management Policy, all coaches and parent helpers must go through a police vetting process.
Clothing & Equipment
Our registered club colours are Red, White & Black. At each training session, members will need:
- Red Beach Black club swimwear
- Hi Visibility fluoro safety vest* (at all trainings & carnivals)
- Red & White club cap** (for A, B & C groups at carnivals, and required for Sunday training for B & C groups)
- Training cap** (provided for Tadpoles and A groups which are colour coded for each age group and given out when checked in at the beginning of each session)
- Red Beach club T-Shirt
- Black shorts (no logo)
- Club rash shirt (optional)
- Wetsuit for pre-Christmas training, it can still be cold (optional, not permitted at carnivals)
- Towel, sun screen, drink bottle
- Warm clothing - sweat shirt, wind breaker, beanie, polypropylene
- A bag to carry personal gear down to the beach
- Personal medication if required. Please inform your coach.
* Based on the recommendations of the event safety review, Surf Life Saving New Zealand has made the High Visibility Vest a mandatory item for all carnivals from 1st October 2013 and also highly recommended use for all training sessions. Therefore, the Red Beach Junior Club will be enforcing this as a compulsory item of clothing which can be purchased at registration and must be worn at all competitions and training sessions (including mid-week training).
No vest - no participation.